Saturday, February 8, 2014

CHD Awareness - Day 2

I've got to be honest....before EIV was born....I'd never really heard anything about Congenital Heart Defects (CHD).  Looking back now, that's astounding me.  And sad, extremely sad.

You may ask "Why are you so shocked that you had no knowledge of CHD?"

Well....Let's start with some facts:

*1 in 100 children worldwide are born with a CHD.

*CHDs are the #1 occurring birth defect and leading cause of birth-defect related deaths.

How did I have 3 children before I knew these facts?
That's really crazy to me.
I knew lots about pediatric cancer, juvenile diabetes, and Downs Syndrome...but honestly, I can't recall one conversation in which CHD was mentioned.

Why aren't there efforts to educate/inform parents about CHD?
Why don't we share the symptoms of congenital heart failure?
Why does it appear to be contingent on 'if your pediatrician catches it'?
Why did it take until the year 2013 for a simple screen (pulse ox) to be a mandatory newborn health screen in most states?
Why aren't we (collectively as a nation) talking about it?
Why aren't we funding research?
Why aren't we doing more?

There's lots and lots of questions that I ask, and don't understand the answers.

The #1 reason for birth-defect related deaths deserves ATTENTION.
I'm doing my part (but certainly not enough) to bring it to YOUR attention.
If you or someone you know has CHD-related questions, please send them my way.
If you or someone you know needs support because their lives have been affected by CHD, please send them my way.
Together, we can make a difference and spread awareness.
Together, we can help saves lives.



No comments: