Saturday, September 14, 2013

2nd Heartiversary!!

Today, September 14, 2013 marks EIV's 2nd Heartiversary!

This day always will stop me in my tracks.
On this day in 2011, Ed and I handed our son over to the skilled hands of Dr. Duncan to fix the two holes in his heart.

My cousin (who's always been a sister to me) stood by our side and digitally captured so much of what my brain couldn't absorb.
Remember how much he disliked that one nurse:


My aunt and uncle came to the hospital and brought us goodies and lots of love and support.

My parents were there.  Sat with us through it all.  I'll never forget the silence that fell on the room when EIV went on bypass and when our breathing resumed when he went off.

And Ed's parents were here...taking care of our precious girls.
We were surrounded with love.

I'll never forget the first time we saw him:
 
Still takes my breath away!
 
And here he is 11 days post-op:







And here he is today:
edward_crop


































A rambunctious, full of life, and full of energy 2 1/2 year old, who is also the featured Heart Hero of the Month for Heart Heroes, Inc.  Check his blog post out here:  http://heartheroes.org/heart-hero-edward

I've always struggled to put into words all the feelings about that day.
First and foremost, I THANK GOD for protecting our son and placing him in Dr. Duncan's skilled hands.
Dr. Duncan - is and always be our Hero!
Our family and friends who supported and loved us.  You are all the only reason why I'm not locked up with a straight jacket on.
Our girls....who loved and comforted us and their baby brother. And brought (and continue to) us joy beyond words.
And all of our Heart Hero and heart family friends....who walk this journey with us every day.  Who understand exactly how I feel. And share the same joys and sorrows.

I'm so very Thankful for my son.  For his heart health.  For his smile.  For his baby blues.

We are celebrating again this year with a cookie and a party!  because nothing screams heart health like a bazillion calorie cookie!!  We are also giving back with a day of random acts of kindness.  (More on both of these later!)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Praise the Lord for his protection, healing hands, healthy hearts, loving friends and family, and bazillion calorie cookies! Here's to two years!